Relocation Information

Relocating to Tuscaloosa?

As soon as possible, notify individuals, companies and institutions that your address will be changing. Either call or mail the change-of-address cards you can get at your local Post Office. It will be important to arrange for extablishing services and utilities at your new home. You will need to contact the following businesses:


Alabama Power Company -
400 McFarland Blvd Ste D, Northport, AL 35476 - 205-349-6703

Power Outage Reporting - 1-800-888-2726

Commercial Customer Service
1-888-430-5787 (option 8) -  Hours: 7:30 am - 6 pm CST, Monday - Friday
Residential Customer Service
1-800-245-2244 (option 8) -   Hours: 24 hours a day, 7 days a week

Gas Telephone
Hours: 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
Customer Service: (800) 292-4008
Ordering, Billing, and Other Services 1-800-288-2020

Water Cable Television

Tuscaloosa Water & Sewer
2230 6th Street - 205-248-5500

Sand Springs Water Authority
13951 Hwy. 171 - (205) 339-9807

Peterson Water Works
Holt Lock and Dam Rd. - (205) 556-7785

440 Patriot Pkwy
(888) 438-2427

Comcast Cablevision
1131 Whigham Pl.

Driver License/Auto Registration

In addition to utilities, new Montgomery residents will need to update driver licenses and automobile registration. New residents have 30 days after entering the state to obtain an Alabama driver license. Driver licenses are available from the driver license examiner's office. If you have a valid out-of-state driver license, you do not have to take a road test, but will be required to take a written exam and an eye test. If you have no license, you must also take a road test.

An Alabama driver license is valid for four years from the date of purchase. Please contact office for costs.

Here is the information to help you fulfill these requirements:

The Alabama State Trooper's Office
2645 Skyland Boulevard East
(205) 553-5531

Offices for renewals only:

The Tuscaloosa County Courthouse
714 Greensboro Ave
Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35401

(205) 349-3870


Newcomers must transfer their vehicle title and obtain their Alabama automobile license plates within 30 days of establishing residency. Tags may be purchased in the Commissioner of Licenses Office in the Courthouse or one of the satellite offices.

Call for information on what you will need to bring.

The License Commissioner's Office
Tuscaloosa County Courthouse
714 Greensboro Avenue
(205) 349-3876

Voter Registration

It is important to remember to register to vote in your new hometown. Voter registration must be completed at the County Courthouse 10 days before any election. You may be able to register at other locations around the city. Please call the Courthouse to find the nearest location. You will need a valid driver license or other form of identification, and your Social Security number. Special assistance for people with disabilities is available.

For more information or to register contact:

The Board of Registrars Office
The Tuscaloosa County Courthouse
714 Greensboro Ave
Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35401
(205) 349-3870


Both Tuscaloosa and Northport have the same sales tax structure that comes to a total of 9%.

Property tax in the State of Alabama is the lowest in the entire U.S.  All non-exempt property in Alabama is classified and assessed for taxation at the following percentages of fair market value:

Class I:   Property of Public Utilities, 30%

Class II:  Property not otherwise classified  (Industrial), 20%

Class III: Agricultural, Forest, and Residential Property, 10%

Tax Collectors Office
The Tuscaloosa County Courthouse
714 Greensboro Ave
Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35401
(205) 349-3870


To Hunt and Fish in Alabama everyone age 16 years and older must have a valid hunting and fishing license.  Citizens age 65 and older do not need a license if they have a valid Alabama driver's license in their possession.  For more information check with a local sporting goods store or call:

The Tuscaloosa County Courthouse
714 Greensboro Ave
Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35401
(205) 349-3870


To obtain a marriage license for Tuscaloosa County, only one applicant must appear in person at the Tuscaloosa County Courthouse.  If there is only one applicant present, that person must provide identification for both parties.  Applicants must show a birth certificate, valid driver's license or other form of identification (Social Security cards not accepted).  The fee is $40.00 paid in cash.  Both parents must accompany applicants under the age of 18.  For further information call the Tuscaloosa County Courthouse, (205) 349-3870.

Registering a Child in School

To register a child in local public schools, the child must be age 5 (for kindergarten) or age 6 (for first grade) on or before Sept. 2. The following documents are needed:

    1. Proof of residence.
    2. Social Security card for the child.
    3. An Alabama immunization certificate.
    4. An official copy of the birth certificate.

      For information on registering new students contact the appropriate school office.

    Tuscaloosa County Schools
    (205) 758-0411

    Tuscaloosa City Schools
    (205) 759-3700



Call Today
Marilyn Lee,
Direct Line (205) 469-3214
Office 800-345-0654
Fax (205) 345-6807


Information provided is thought to be reliable but is not guaranteed to be accurate.

Copyright © 2004-2018, Marilyn Lee. All rights reserved